Top Professional Wrestling Schools
A list of wrestling schools to remember
Some professionals immerse themselves in further studies to master their trade and achieve success. Wrestlers are no different. For those who want to enhance their prowess in the ring, enrolling in wrestling schools is a good option. Although there are many schools that have been operating for a long time, their track record may come up short. Some students may graduate without having anything to show for.
With the many wrestling schools scattered all over the country, few have stood out and produced future superstars in the ring. If you’re an amateur looking to become the next pro wrestling sensation, here’s a list of wrestling schools to enroll in:
- Funking Conservatory Wrestling School. Beginning this list of best pro wrestling schools is the Ocala, Florida, institution under the reins of former NWA World Champion Dory Funk Jr. Fun fact: Dory himself was sought out by the WWE before the wrestling giant developed their own training system. His skills have helped hone the skills of superstars like Edge, Kurt Angle, and Lita.
- Harley Race Wrestling Academy. Located in Eldon, Missouri, this school is known for being a top choice among legendary wrestling families who seek to carry on their legacy. Notable enrollees include the renowned Henning and DiBiase families. Every year, the school facilitates a weeklong training camp to see emerging potential talents.
- Johnny Rodz School of Wrestling. Inside Gleason’s Gym in Brooklyn, New York, is this wrestling school run by WWE Hall of Famer Johnny Rodz, who still puts in a 36-hour workweek to help carve out future wrestling greats.
- Ohio Valley Wrestling. This school in Louisville, Kentucky, school was a former WWE developmental territory. Many up-and-coming and independent wrestlers who wanted a ticket to Vince McMahon’s stable came flocking to this school. Batista, Randy Orton, and John Cena stepped into the school’s ring before entering the WWE.
- The Monster Factory. Rounding out this list of the best professional wrestling schools is this Bellmawr, New Jersey, training ground, which opened in 1983. Founded by Larry Sharp and former WWE World Champion Buddy Rogers, the school’s alumni consists of big wrestling names such as Bam Bam Bigelow, The Godfather, King Kong Bundy, and Big Show.
Know any wrestling schools not mentioned in this list? Feel free to add them in the comments section below.
Cohen, Eric. 2017. “10 Best Professional Wrestling Schools.” ThoughtCo. Last modified August 5, 2017. Accessed November 8, 2017. https://www.thoughtco.com/best-repuations-wrestling-school-2786690.
May, Vern. 2016. “Star Builders: Top 20 All Time Pro Wrestling Schools.” TheSportster, September 17. Accessed November 8, 2017. https://www.thesportster.com/wrestling/star-builders-top-20-all-time-pro-wrestling-schools/.